Your money will be spent improving the sustainability of Nottingham Nightline. You will enable us to renovate our office space and provide much needed upgrades for our outdated equipment.
What Is Nightline?
Nightline is a confidential and anonymous student-run listening and information service. Operating between 7pm-8am, we aim to provide a listening, non-judgemental ear when no other welfare services are open.
Nightline is a crucial service to all those studying at the University of Nottingham. This is shown as between the period of September 2013 to December 2016, we received a total of 10,772 calls from our students.
Therefore, we believe it's essential to have the presence of such a support network available to our students. We would like to ask for your help to allow us to continue our work and invest in a sustainable future for our service.
Who uses Nightline?
Being totally anonymous and non-judgemental, Nightline can be used by any one of our 34,000 students. Due to our email service, Nightline is able to operate 365 days a year so that our students will always have someone to talk to. Not only this, but our Skype and online instant messaging provide a base for students studying abroad to take advantage of our service when away from home.
Calls are taken on a variety of topics, however, the majority of our calls (nearly 50%) are problem calls. Problem calls range from academic or relational stress to topics such as depression, abuse and even suicide. With nearly half of our 10,772 calls being so heavily focused on such topics, we believe Nightline provides a crucial outpost for our student community when it comes to dealing with mental health.
To deal with such a vast array of topics, our volunteers are rigorously trained to deal with all calls. This is to ensure that the volunteer is ready to take such calls and that when taking the call, they will be able to provide the best service possible to allow callers to explore their thoughts and feelings.
Nightline by Numbers
- During the 2015/16 academic year , Nottingham Nightline's lines were open a total of 3989 hours.
- In this time, we received a total of 3551 calls.
- In order to open for 3989 hours, we required more than 14218 volunteer hours .
- If charged at a living wage of £7.20 per hour , this would equate to £102,369.60 worth of free labour by our volunteer membership .
- This was an improvement from 2014/15, in which our lines were open for a total of 3797 hours.
As the above statistics show, our volunteers are key to everything we do at Nightline. However, to prepare our volunteers to take such calls, they must first go through a training cycle before taking to the lines. The cost of putting a trainee through such a cycle comes to £30.00 per person.
where will your money go?
- The launch of our text messaging service in the spring of 2015 saw 348 people message us by text in the first 6 months of operation. We aim to set up new and improve current initiatives to help expand the means in which our students can contact us.
- With over 65% of the 3551 calls received in 2015/16 coming via telephone , our phones are the main way our students contact us. However, due to a serious lack in working and fully functioning telephones in the office, your investment will be spent on a major upgrade of all phones in the office.
- With over £100,000 worth of free volunteer labour in 2015/16, which included three 24-hour periods throughout the year - it is clear how essential our volunteers are to the service. Therefore, at £30 per-trainee, your money will go directly toward funding our largest ever training cycle in 2017 to make up for a shortage in volunteers.
- We have been offered a grant of £3,000 from the alumni and friends of the University who give to the Cascade Grants Programme. However, this is offered on the condition that we reach our minimum target on this Jumpstart page. Please sponsor us today and help us access this vitally needed Cascade funding.
- Any surplus to the target will be transferred onto next year's budget in order to help pay for further training cycles and maintenance issues throughout the year.
- To help us say a massive " THANK YOU!" we have prepared some rewards to give to our donors as a way of showing our gratitude for enabling us to continue to do what we do. Please feel free to have a look!
Find us here
For more information please feel free to visit: http://www.nottinghamnightline.co.uk/
Or you can find us on:
Twitter - @NottsNightline
Facebook - Nottingham Nightline
Instagram - @NottinghamNightline
Help us succeed!
- If Nottingham Nightline is something you think is worth investing in, please feel free to sponsor us and help make this happen!
- Likewise, if this is a project you feel passionately about, please give this page a share with anyone you feel would be interested in helping us reach our target! If you could take a few moments to register as a Jumpstart user, sign up as 'helper' and use the social media icons to share with your network, that would make a great difference.
- If you are a student at the University of Nottingham and Nightline is something you are interested in, feel free to get in touch and receive details about joining either our publicity team or listening team.
Have you sponsored this project? If so, log in to comment on updates!
The project creator has not yet posted any updates yet.
Cascade matchfunded £881
11 anonymous donations totalling £106.00