We have secured generous funding from the University's Cascade Grants programme to enable the running of regular inclusive Climbing Sessions at the David Ross Sports Village. The condition is that we raise £1,000 of our own on this site: only then can we bring our vision of making climbing accessible to all staff and students, whatever their ability , to life.
The team behind this project are Mike Smith (Climbing Wall Manager) and Hannah Webber (Disability Sport Officer). Both are based at the David Ross Sports Village and are passionate about sport, especially helping those less able to try sport at whatever level they are.
The project will see the start of regular Inclusive Climbing sessions at the David Ross Sport Village Climbing Wall. These sessions will be open to any staff and students but specifically to those with some form of disability or mental health condition.
The sessions have already been running on a casual basis for a year but without some additional funding they are not sustainable. The climbing sessions enable those with a disability to try climbing and discover what is achievable.
A small group of students have already discovered that with a small amount of support they are able to achieve 'heights' they never thought possible. We hope to give as many students and staff as possible the opportunity to push themselves beyond what they think is achievable and in so doing improve their self esteem, confidence and general wellbeing.
WhAT will WE DO WITH YOUR money?
The money will be used to ensure that the sessions become a regular feature on the climbing wall programme. Specifically, the money will be used to recruit an instructor to lead the sessions. They will be assisted by a small team of volunteers. The volunteers will require some bespoke training to ensure they are prepared for the challenges of helping disabled staff and students. In addition some specialist equipment will be required to provide additional support for specific disabilities such as Bluetooth head sets for visually impaired climbers.
The three main areas that your money will be spent on are:
- Instructor - Recruit an instructor to lead and supervise the sessions for 50 weeks - £2250
- Training - This will be required to up skill the volunteers. The training will be delivered by an external provider - £800
- Equipment - A few specialised items are required to ensure the sessions can be accessed by the largest group of students - £1400
Longer term ambitions
If this project with University students and staff proves to be a success, we hope to be able to offer these sessions to the wider community - encouraging greater participation from disabled people and building stronger relationships with local community groups.
We will endeavour to promote developments with these sessions on a regular basis through our various social media channels, websites and networks.
We will also share regular updates with the Campaign and Alumni Relation Office, so that those who have kindly donated to this project will be able to view how their donations are benefitting the disabled student, staff and alumni community at the University.
Climbing tasters at the David Ross Sports Village Climbing Wall T&C's apply
Donations from £20: A free 1hr climbing taster at the David Ross Sports Village Climbing wall T&C’s apply.
Donations from £50: A free 1hr climbing party at the David Ross Sports Village Climbing wall for up to 4 adults/children T&C’s apply.
Donations from £100: A free 1hr climbing party at the David Ross Sports Village Climbing wall for up to 8 adults/children T&C’s apply.
Donations from £500: A VIP tour of the David Ross Sports Village, lunch and 1:1 Climbing session with GB Para Climbing Athlete.
SOCIAL MEDIA CHANNELS
"Follow us to find out how we're doing!"
The UoNSport social media and website channels are listed below:
- UoNSport website: www.nottingham.ac.uk/sport
- UoNSport Facebook: www.facebook.com/UoNSport
- UoN Disability Sport Facebook: www.facebook.com/UoNDisabilitySport
- UoNSport Twitter: twitter.com/uonsport
- UoN Disability Sport Twitter: twitter.com/uonsport_dso
- UoNSport Instagram: www.instagram.com/uonsport
Help us succeed!
- You don't need to give money to help us succeed! Please click on the 'follow' and 'help' buttons and use the social media icons to share this project with anyone you think would support us – on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, by email, telephone, in a chat over the fence or on your blog.
- In fact, share it with everyone you know as we think it's a great idea, and the more people who know about it, the more likely we are to make this work out brilliantly.
- And we know we said you don't need to give money to help us, but we'd love it if you did! Please sponsor us and help make this happen.